If you're struggling to lose weight, you may have heard of Wegovy. It's a new weight loss prescription medication that has been shown to be effective in clinical trials. However, it's not yet available in the UK.
In this blog, we'll explore how you can get Wegovy in the UK and what you need to know before taking it.
- Wegovy is a weight loss medication that mimics a hormone called GLP-1 to regulate appetite and blood sugar levels.
- It is approved for use in the UK and will be available at some point in 2023.
- Wegovy is can only be prescribed by a healthcare professional and is not available to buy online.
- To determine suitability for Wegovy, a pharmacist will perform a risk assessment and calculate the patient's BMI, and provide advice on dosing, side effects, and lifestyle changes.
- The most common side effects of Wegovy are nausea, diarrhoea, and constipation, and it should only be taken under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
- The duration of treatment with Wegovy will depend on individual circumstances, and its effectiveness may vary for different people.
What is Wegovy?
Semaglutide, a weight loss medication from Novo Nordisk, will be available in UK pharmacies this year; and will be sold under the name Wegovy.
Wegovy (semaglutide) is a medication that is used to help people lose weight. It works by mimicking a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), which helps to regulate appetite and blood sugar levels. In clinical trials, Wegovy has been shown to be highly effective at helping people lose weight, with some participants losing up to 15% of their body weight.
The NHS has also recently stated that Wegovy has been approved for prescription by approved medical providers.
Wegovy has been approved for use but it is not yet available in the UK. However, semaglutide is already available in the UK as Ozempic, which is approved as a treatment for type 2 diabetes.
How can I get Wegovy in the UK?
The main question for this blog, if you are interested in taking Wegovy, then you should be informed that this medication is only available if prescribed by a medical practitioner or approved pharmacists.
You can not purchase Wegovy online or from any retailer.
Our pharmacists at Kennedy's Pharmacy are able to prescribe Wegovy once this is available in the UK and if you are determined to be suitable for this medication.
In the meantime, you can learn more about other medicated weight management programmes available at Kennedy's Pharmacy.
Our process if you are eligible to receive Wegovy
*This is an expected process and can be subject to change.
- At your first consultation, the pharmacist will perform a risk assessment taking into account current medications and health conditions.
- The pharmacist will calculate your BMI by measuring your current weight and height and your blood pressure and “central” fat distribution will also be measured and recorded.
- The pharmacist will discuss your options and determine if you are suitable for Wegovy. Following this, the pharmacist will discuss the dosing regimen and demonstrate how to use the Wegovy injection pen, providing advice on storage and side effects as well as providing dietary and lifestyle advice and supporting materials.
- Patients are encouraged to visit the pharmacy weekly initially whereby we can provide additional weight measurements and encouragement.
What are the side effects of Wegovy?
As with any medication, Wegovy can cause side effects. The most common side effects include nausea, diarrhoea, and constipation. More serious side effects are rare but can include pancreatitis and gallbladder problems.
Is Wegovy safe?
Wegovy has been shown to be safe and effective in clinical trials. However, it is important to remember that it is a prescription only medication and should only be taken under the supervision of a healthcare professional. You should also make sure to inform your healthcare professional of any other medications you are taking, as they may interact with Wegovy.
How long do I need to take Wegovy for?
The length of time you need to take Wegovy for will depend on your individual circumstances. A healthcare professional will be able to advise you on the duration of your treatment. However, it is likely that you will need to take Wegovy for an extended period of time in order to achieve and maintain significant weight loss.
How does Wegovy compare to other weight loss medications?
Wegovy is a newer medication than many other weight loss treatments, and it has been shown to be highly effective in clinical trials. However, it is important to remember that different medications work differently for different people, and your healthcare professional will be able to advise you on the best treatment for you.
We go through this more in depth in the below links:
In conclusion, if you are struggling to lose weight and are interested in trying Wegovy, it is important to speak to your GP or a qualified healthcare provider such as those in Kennedy's Pharmacy.
While Wegovy is not yet available in the UK, it is expected to be at some time in 2023. However, it is important to remember that weight loss is not guaranteed and will depend on individual factors such as diet and exercise.
With the right guidance and support, Wegovy may be able to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
When will Wegovy be available in the UK?
Wegovy is expected to be available in the near future in 2023, and will be available in the UK as a prescription medication.
How much weight can I expect to lose with Wegovy?
The amount of weight you can expect to lose with Wegovy will depend on individual factors such as diet and exercise. However, in clinical trials, participants who took Wegovy lost significantly more weight than those who took a placebo.
Is Wegovy suitable for everyone?
No, Wegovy is not suitable for everyone. You should speak to your healthcare professional to assess whether it is a suitable treatment for you.
Can I buy Wegovy online?
No, Wegovy is a prescription medication and should only be taken under the supervision of a healthcare professional. It is not available to buy online.
At Kennedy’s Pharmacy, our priority is to help you become the healthiest and happiest version of yourself. We strive to provide the best service for your health and wellbeing as well as displaying professionalism and encouragement, and giving expert medical and lifestyle advice to the wider community we serve.
Medicated Weight Clinic Management Programmes
The Medicated Weight Management Service can help you achieve healthy weight loss with support and health advice from your local pharmacists at Kennedy’s Pharmacy.
We offer two deliveries to this medicated service via weight loss injections or weight loss capsules. Click the button below to learn more!